Friday, February 26, 2010

Zebras on the Wall





It seems like I was not the only one who was inspired by the wallpaper in the Kate Spade blog article yesterday by Habitually Chic. The authors post today was all about "THAT wallpaper."

I LOVE IT. And I love the story behind it. So, inspired by Habitually Chic, I thought I would share. (PS. in case you are not following this blog - I highly suggest it!!! It is such a good daily read, I have it emailed to me)

"Gino Ciciello, who although born in Buenes Aires had an Italian father who worked as a chef so after he immigrated to the United States, Gino decided to open an Italian restaurant at 780 Lexington Avenue in New York with two of his friends. According to The New York Times, 'Mr. Circiello was a hunter without the means to pay for an African safari, but he reasoned that he could at least afford zebras on his wallpaper.' He commissioned his friend friend Franco Scalamandre to design wallpaper depicting leaping zebras pursued by arrows. The wallpaper is now synonymous with Gino's and made the place a New York institution."

The best part of the story of Gino's is that Mr. Ciciello's restaurant was a huge success and he was finally able to afford that trip to Africa.

If its cool enough for Margot Tenenbaum....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails